Why is Membership no longer included with classes?
We did a sustainability study on all our class pricing and discovered that giving away a semester membership with classes simply isn’t feasible for these reasons:
- Those registered for a class will continue to have access to the studio during the time-frame between the first day of of the class and the last day of the class.
- Additional hours of free access do not cover overhead costs such as: equipment maintenance/repair, electric and gas, wear and tear on our resources, University-related expenses and staff labor.
- Free membership encourages people to sign up for classes with the sole purpose of getting additional access so they sign up for the same classes over and over. This prevents new students from being able to get into the classes, which is not fair.
- Class prices have not increased in three years, even though overhead costs continue to increase.
- We added the Annual Memberships at a discount to encourage memberships rather than repeated class sign-ups. Memberships are actually less expensive than individual classes and we offer an annual member discount of 11% off the total per-semester membership price.
- NO other arts center provides free access with classes. The Crafts Center is right in line with industry standard pricing and practices.
- We are a teaching center first. Our primary mission is to focus on NC State students (as student fees pay for this Center) and also to provide a location for students of all ages to learn and grow as makers. We strongly discourage the use of a studio membership solely for mass production purposes that would supply a personal business as this could adversely impact the needs of those in classes and workshops.
What is the difference between a PunchCard and a ClassPass?
- We now offer a PunchCard, which enables students [in designated classes only] to get access to the studio for THREE ADDITIONAL VISITS after the class ends so they can finish up class projects. The PunchCard is distributed to students on the last day of class.
- The ClassPass enables students [in designated classes only – usually 5 weeks or more] to purchase a ClassPass either upon registration for a beginning or continuing class or at the completion of the class to give them full semester access to the studio. These are offered at a much-discounted rate since students will have already registered and paid for the class.
ClassPass prices are:
Level I: $29
Level II: $46
Level III: $57
What is the difference between a ClassPass and a Membership?
- The ClassPass is distinctly only for students who are registered for a beginning or continuing class. A membership entitles students to full semester access to a specific studio [based on orientation and/or prerequisites]. Memberships can be purchases on a per-semester basis or annually.