The Clay Studio provides a space for students to work on pottery, sculpture and related projects.
- Handbuilding area – Room 101HB
- Wheel classroom area – Room 101W
- Glazing area – Room 101G
- Pottery wheels
- Handbuilding tables and canvases
- A slab roller
- Rolling pins
- Miscellaneous molds
- Two clay extruders
- More than 25 glazes
- Sculpture stands
- A gas kiln for glaze firing (we fire at cone 10 reduction)
- Electric kilns for bisque firing
- Lockers to store clay and supplies are available for a rental fee.
The Clay Studio is open during Crafts Center hours, but it’s available for use by studio members only when a class is not in session (exception: a courtesy wheel area is available for use when a class is in 101W). View schedule »
Studio memberships are available for purchase by those not taking a class, provided they have sufficient experience and knowledge to work independently in the studio. First–time users must complete an orientation before purchasing a membership. Membership to the Crafts Center entitles members full access to special events and their studio of choice during open hours and when a class is not in session. [The Center’s schedule runs on the official NC State University schedule.]
- You must be 18 or older, or a currently enrolled NC State student, and have health insurance to use the studio.
- Any clay used in the studio must be purchased at the Crafts Center.
- Basic pottery tools such as ribs, needle tools, settle knives and bat pins are available for purchase.
- Supplies may be purchased by studio members and clay students only.